Mechanical Refrigerator CarsBy the 1960's, railroads' aging ice reefers were being rapidly replaced by vast fleets of efficient Mechanical Refrigerator Cars. Manufacturers like Pacific Car & Foundry and Western Fruit Express had developed more efficient ways to keep perishables fridge-fresh when transported by rail. These modern, diesel-powered cars have become a common and colorful site on America's rails ever since their introduction.Lionel proudly adds the all-new Mechanical Refrigerator Car to its growing fleet of realistic Standard O freight cars. Based on actual drawings from the mid-1960's, these cars are designed with brake equipment positioned low on the ends, short ladders, and no running board on the modern roof. Slide open the vented mechanical compartment door to inspect the diesel engine on the inside of the car.
- Die-cast metal sprung trucks and operating couplers
- Hidden uncoupling tabs
- Rotating bearing caps
- Separately applied metal underframe details
- Opening doors
- Sliding compartment door reveals diesel engine
- Single and 2-Pack cars are available in unique, sequential road numbers
- Rail Line: Southern Pacific
- Gauge: Standard O Scale
- Brand: Lionel
- Min Curve: O-31
- Dimensions: Length: 14 1/4" each
- Most Recent Catalog: Lionel 2007 Train Catalog Volume 2
This product was added to our catalog on Friday 10 November, 2017.